Albert College – Belleville, Ontario
- The custodian will also be expected to take part in W.H.M.I.S. training and ensure that the Junior School complies with appropriate legislation in the handling of all janitorial and maintenance materials. Successful completion of Level I Certification (Occupational Health and Safety Act) is also required.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent. Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may qualify. Prior janitorial experience preferred.
- Working Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (timing of breaks and lunch to be determined by supervisor in consideration of program needs).
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment.
- Identifying, Planning and Executing – determines the relative importance of needs, prioritizes and sequences work, and effectively changes direction when appropriate.
- Teamwork and Partnership – Keeps team members or partners informed and up-to-date about group processes, individual actions, and influencing events. Works together with constituents to problem solve and provide straight-forward knowledge and advice.
- Judgment and Decision making – reviews alternatives before making decisions. Looks for the most efficient and productive course of action.
- Agility – Understands and responds to organizational needs by looking for opportunities to improve and modify approach appropriately. Makes decisions to act in the best interest of the organization.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- A valid Ontario driver’s license is required. A vulnerable sector police check, at your expense, is required and must be successfully completed before employment can be offered or started.
- The previous statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
- Clean washrooms, hallways, stage area, great hall, gymnasium, cloakrooms, classrooms, offices, sick room, staff rooms and other areas of the school as assigned or as the need is identified by the Head of Maintenance.
- Disinfect surface areas regularly (e.g. drinking fountains, sinks, faucets, door knobs, crash bars, telephone handsets, etc.)
- Ensure entrances and cloak rooms are cleaned on a regular basis and monitored carefully while the school is in session.
- Ensure entrance grates and pedi-mats are cleaned and maintained regularly. Ensure that exterior entrances are swept and free of debris.
- Dust mop, wash and wax floors.
- Dust and vacuum all areas regularly.
- Erase and clean chalkboards/whiteboards and chalk rails regularly.
- Empty garbage in all interior rooms, as well as exterior trash cans, and pick up garbage in and around the perimeter of property.
- Empty and process recycling as required, including taking bins to curb prior to scheduled collection days.
- Clean interior and exterior windows.
- Clear snow from all entrances and stairs as required. Liaise with Senior School maintenance department for support as required. Monitor paths, entrances and stairs for ice during the school day and apply de-icer to ensure safety of students, staff, visitors and parents.
- Water plants as required.
- Wash cleaning rags and various coverings (e.g. cushions) regularly.
- Wash and treat dust mops.
- Organize cleaning closets and electrical room and maintain them in a tidy and presentable state that permits easy access to materials and service panels.
- Clean scuff marks from walls and floors.
- Assist with cleaning lunch room and liaise with kitchen staff to ensure cleanliness in the Great Hall.
- Unlock the school and lock facilities, including the gates to the kindergarten yard, at the end of day or shift. Ensure all windows are closed.
- Deliver goods to specific areas of the school when items are delivered to the front office.
- Move various items around school to support program and teaching staff.
- Be available for custodial coverage for all special events in the Junior School.
- Prepare for special functions (e.g. Board meetings, tournaments, evening events, etc.) by cleaning the respective areas, setting-up seating, doors mats, coat racks, etc., and ensuring that washroom facilities are clean and presentable.
- Any other duties as requested.
- Carry out any scheduled preventative light maintenance and report any other maintenance needs to the Head of Maintenance. Monitor replacement needs of various filters and consumable maintenance materials in consultation with the Head of Maintenance.
- Attend to any light maintenance or repair tasks as appropriate (e.g. painting, light bulbs, loose screws, etc.)
- Arrange for any other maintenance work orders as necessary in consultation with the Head of Maintenance.
- Become acquainted with the operation of heating and air conditioning units, as well as the in-ground sprinkler system, and regulate as required. Report any problems to the Head of Maintenance.
- Facilitate regular inspection of fire extinguishers with appointed maintenance personnel and assist staff in maintaining safe paths of egress for fire safety.
- Clear any snow from all entrances, exits, walkways and asphalt play surfaces. Consult with the Head of Maintenance and liaise with maintenance department for support, if required. Monitor paths, entrances and stairs for ice during the school day and apply de-icer/sand to ensure safety of students, staff, visitors and parents.
- Liaise with the Head of Maintenance regarding any snow removal concerns involving parking lot or walkways.
- Empty exterior garbage cans and pick up litter from in and around the school.
- Inspect grounds regularly to ensure parking lot, playground and all entrance ways are clean and free of litter and in good repair. Monitor the condition of exterior lighting and replace bulbs as necessary. Report any damage or problems to the Head of Maintenance.
- Clean exterior windows as required. In the case of windows that are above step height, arrange for window cleaners.
Type of Job: Full-Time
Hourly Wage/Salary: To be discussed
Closes: September 29, 2017
To apply follow these instructions
The review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit a resume, covering letter and supporting documents to:
Jennifer Kimball, CPA, CA
Chief Financial Officer
Albert College, 160 Dundas Street West, Belleville, ON K8P 1A6
Fax: 613-968-9651 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.