Assistant House Director – Female Residence
Albert College – Belleville, ON
Albert College currently has position available for Assistant House Director for the Female Residence. Reporting to the respective House Director, the successful applicants would participate in the rotation for evening and weekend supervision of residential students. A portion of duties include some combination of coaching, assisting with other co-curricular duties, and/or class coverage.
- Strong listening and communication skills for dealing with a wide variety of people and issues
- Appreciation of different cultures
- Ability to protect confidentiality and manage trust of the entire community
- Ability and talents to participate fully in the lives of Albert students
- Good organization and computer skills
- Experience in dealing with adolescent issues
- Live in residence full-time during the school year
- Meals are provided (taxable benefit) when the school is open
- Teamwork and Partnership – Keeps team members or partners informed and up to-date about group processes, individual actions, and influencing events
- Customer Business Sense – Works together with constituents to problem solve and provide straight-forward knowledge and advice
- Agility – Understands and responds to organizational needs by looking for opportunities to improve and modify approach appropriately
The Assistant House Director will be the designate of the House Director in their absence and will assist in setting up house routines and ensure adherence to school rules.
- Maintain open communication including an “open-door” policy with students and the residential team. This requires the Assistant House Director to treat their residential accommodation as their full-time residence during the school year
- Assists with evening “study hall” and liaises with teachers on progress during evenings and exams
- As a member of the residential staff, the Assistant House Director will be under the scrutiny of residential students and their families. As such, the Assistant House Director will, at all times, be an appropriate role model and will exemplify the behaviour expected of students.
- Assist in confirmation of travel plans for weekend breaks
- Assist in supervision of bus loading on those weekends
- The Assistant House Director will be required to be on duty until all students have departed and will be available when the first student is scheduled to return
- Assist in securing the residence after students have left for break and assist with transportation of boarding students to and from the airport when required
- Supervise campus restrictions
- Provide planning and supervision for weekend activities
- Administer basic first aid and support health and medical needs of resident students.
- Be on main duty on specified weekends, plus two nights per week and be responsible for evening lock-up
- Conduct weekly room inspections.
- Help conduct daily uniform inspections and ensure uniform standard is maintained.
- Supervise and support Residence Prefect and flat seniors.
- Communicate with advisors and assist with tracking of students to see they are fully engaged in the life of the school.
- Assist with education regarding security and fire plans
- Work requires movement throughout the campus. Hours can be irregular due to residential counselling requirements. As the people with in loco parentis responsibility for residential students, all people living on campus, regardless of duty rotations, are responsible for supervision and programming for students in the event of a school closure. In the event that some or all of the Food Services staff were unavailable, this would include provision of meals for the duration of the closure. If such a closure were prolonged, a duty rotation would be established through consultation between the management of the school and the House Directors.
- A portion of your duties will include some combination of class coverage, supervision in the Middle School and/or the Resource Centre, coaching or assisting with other co-curricular duties including team sports and arts period. The actual load may vary each term depending on co-curricular assignments, and the specific duties will be determined based on the skill sets of the residential staff members
- Starting date will be mid to late August
Type of Job:
Hourly Wage/Salary: TBD
Closes: June 29, 2018
To apply follow these instructions
The review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit a resume, covering letter and supporting documents to:
Keith Stansfield, Head of School Albert College
160 Dundas Street West, Belleville, ON K8P 1A6
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Albert College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please contact us if you require this posting in an alternate format. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise us if you require accommodation.
The information contained in this job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. META Employment Services is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
If you require a Meta job posting translated into French, please advise the Resource and Information staff.